Broadband internet speed in Yangon & Mandalay

I run a digital agency in Singapore and is thinking of setting up a back office in Yangon for web design, website customization for Wordpress, Joomla, Opencart,etc and SEM work. Can anyone advice me as to

1) the stability and speed of broadband internet in Yangon & Mandalay

2) what is the cost per month for a business to subscribe to the broadband internet and how long it takes to get it installed & connected

3) stability of the power grid - do you get frequent blackout or brownout

4) how open is the internet to the outside world i.e. can a staff in the Yangon office use the broadband internet to do a Skype conference with counterparts in Singapore, London, etc; or find information on Google. Youtube or popular tech blogs or forums; or upload codes or designs to a depository hosted in the US. (For example in China - connecting to websites in the West can be very difficult as there are a lot of censorship and blocking by the govt)

5) how well read or well connected are the graduates in Myanmar (i.e those who grew up and studied in Myanmar and have never left the country to study or work). This is a function of the openness of the web - as most new innovations are announced on the web first and for open-source projects are easily found, downloaded or discussed by all users worldwide on forum like stackoverflow, github, techcrunch, mashable,etc. For SEM work - the staff involved must not only speak and write good English but must be well read and knowledgeable about what is happening in their area expertise - most of these info are available in industry blogs and forums.

Appreciate your advice.

Tags: broadband, graduate, grid, internet, knowledgeable, of, openness, power, read, speed, More…stability, well

Views: 2039

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Andrew,

Although you mentioned Broadband , I believe that you may want to use any type of connections as fast as possible for setup.

Correct me if I am wrong , the fastest connection possible to reach by a normal citizen is Redlink Wireless 3Mbps line with a month cost of $150 per month. You can buy one easily at round about $800 . Connection speed is 100Kbps ~400Kbps.

Yes! You can use skype , watch you tube, use ftp or browser internet. Electricity varies depending on place you will be living in but we are hoping it to be stable as soon as possible. Of course , there are some blackouts , but we can get 23hr/per day at least.

Cheers!

(p.s The best place to get developers/ designers is via notice board in MICT park. It is located in Hlaing University Campus)

It's good to see such interest in Myanmar. Below are my understanding based on my knowledge up to the day.

1) Generally speaking, stability is the big issue for Internet connection. It is normally ok and acceptable to do email, web browsing unless there are some occasional issues with ISP or undersea cable or underground backbone access network. But if you are talking about web conferencing, VoIP or video streaming, you need to have a lot of patient and I would say it's unproductively slow. Basically three types of connections for consumer and small businesses, ADSL by government owned ISP, Wimax by Redlink (for Yangon and Mandalay), VSAT satellite by Skynet.

2) I would say getting the connection from Redlink or Skynet is pretty fast. You need a PSTN for ADSL and it may take longer than others. Initial cost for Wimax is around S$ 1000 and satellite is around US$ 1000. Yes, initial cost. You can also apply fiber connection but it's very location subjective and limited subscribers. Conclusion is, it's easy and fast to get Internet connection but the speed is not very stable and available bandwidth are not high (I think max is 3Mbps for Wimax and 2Mbps for satellite).

Monthly service plans example;

Redlink Wimax 1Mbps (6Gb usage) = 55 USD

Skynet VSAT satellite 1Mpbs (usage unknown, could be unlimited) = ~120 USD

3) Power is still major challenge for us. Last year was very impressive that we almost get 24x7 electricity but now we are having some rotational scheduled blackouts for Yangon, not sure about Mandalay. This kind of major blackouts is normal for summer and it will be until June-July. After that we can expect no long blackouts. But it is also norm to have blackouts probably a few minutes to a couple of hours at anytime any day. So if your business is mission critical, you should look for a place with backup electricity or own a generator.

4) It used to be very bad but now it's open. You can use Skype and Google and Youtube. Of course all other popular tech blogs or forums are not censored. I would say we are better than China in terms of censorship today.

5) I think it's not bad. Typical high school graduates or university students can read English well. They may be a bit struggling in terms of verbal communication if they don't experience English speaking environment before but it's really not bad, give them time and it will be no issue. Their habit of online learning is also quite amazing thanks to Internet cafes but of course you cannot compare with youths from developed countries. If you set your expectation right, it won't disappoint you. But if your expectation is high it will be difficult to find candidates.

Yes, I would use any mode of internet connection as long as it is fast and reliable.

Wayne said:

Hi Andrew,

Although you mentioned Broadband , I believe that you may want to use any type of connections as fast as possible for setup.

Correct me if I am wrong , the fastest connection possible to reach by a normal citizen is Redlink Wireless 3Mbps line with a month cost of $150 per month. You can buy one easily at round about $800 . Connection speed is 100Kbps ~400Kbps.

Yes! You can use skype , watch you tube, use ftp or browser internet. Electricity varies depending on place you will be living in but we are hoping it to be stable as soon as possible. Of course , there are some blackouts , but we can get 23hr/per day at least.

Cheers!

(p.s The best place to get developers/ designers is via notice board in MICT park. It is located in Hlaing University Campus)

Wayne: I saw the MICT Park website that it has offices that has backup power & high speed internet connection. Is the rental expensive at the MICT Park as compared to getting an office in downtown Yangon?

Andrew Tan said:

Yes, I would use any mode of internet connection as long as it is fast and reliable.

Wayne said:

Hi Andrew,

Cheers!

Hi Andrew,

We used Team Viewer, Skype , VZO , Gtalk and all sorts of communication tools with Redlink 3Mbps plan. It is the fastest connection line can be applied by a civilian for the moment.

Skynet Internet Line is super slow and not usable in rainy days. Yes, being inside MICT park will bring you a lot of benefits. You have security , 24/7 electricity and many things. But it is very hard to get a room to fit your need. If you know high-ups , I don't know. Rental Charges are also fair.

As Jake said , graduates can speak or write English but they are too shy to speak. You might need to consider that factor as a culture point.

To sum up,conditions are improving a lot compare to the last years and investments are flooding in. We are also hoping for the best too.

Dear Wayne:

Thanks for the advice. Will take that into consideration.

Andrew

Wayne said:

Hi Andrew,

We used Team Viewer, Skype , VZO , Gtalk and all sorts of communication tools with Redlink 3Mbps plan. It is the fastest connection line can be applied by a civilian for the moment.

Skynet Internet Line is super slow and not usable in rainy days. Yes, being inside MICT park will bring you a lot of benefits. You have security , 24/7 electricity and many things. But it is very hard to get a room to fit your need. If you know high-ups , I don't know. Rental Charges are also fair.

As Jake said , graduates can speak or write English but they are too shy to speak. You might need to consider that factor as a culture point.

To sum up,conditions are improving a lot compare to the last years and investments are flooding in. We are also hoping for the best too.

Hi Andrew,

These information might help you when setting up an office in other area (not MICT park)

Approximate Cost..

1. Flat rental cost 1st,2nd ,3rd floor in downtown (monthly:150USD~300 USD ) 15'x60'

2. Electricity Charges 20USD~60USD (monthly)

3. Wimax 3Mbps plan setup : round about 800 USD

4. Company Registration Fees : 1500 USD

5. Internet 150 USD (monthly)

6. Reconfigure Household electric setting : 120USD

7. Table + chair 80USD (per unit)

Dear Wayne:

Can I assume that I can just contact them via http://www.mictpark.com/contact.htm or is there a person that I should email to and then followup with a phone call.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

Wayne said:

Hi Andrew,

These information might help you when setting up an office in other area (not MICT park)

Approximate Cost..

1. Flat rental cost 1st,2nd ,3rd floor in downtown (monthly:150USD~300 USD ) 15'x60'

2. Electricity Charges 20USD~60USD (monthly)

3. Wimax 3Mbps plan setup : round about 800 USD

4. Company Registration Fees : 1500 USD

5. Internet 150 USD (monthly)

6. Reconfigure Household electric setting : 120USD

7. Table + chair 80USD (per unit)

You should try calling them but the chances are quite slim.

http://www.yangon-directory.com/

Ok. Thanks.

Wayne said:

You should try calling them but the chances are quite slim.

http://www.yangon-directory.com/

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ko Chit.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service